Septum Piercing Pros And Cons [The Good, Bad & Ugly]
Getting piercings around the body can be fun only if you like it. For centuries, piercing has carried various meanings, such as tradition, ethnicity, style, fashion trends, etc.
While most men and women commonly choose to pierce the sides of their noses and ears, many people choose to get a septum piercing. Septum piercing, like regular piercings, is also symbolic and fashionable to many.
However, septum piercing comes with both positive and negative sides. And this article is based on the pros and cons of septum piercing from my experience.
Septum Piercing Pros And Cons
I got my septum piercing in my early twenties, and that was around half a decade ago. It took me several months to weigh my options, check the pros and cons, and finally decide.
Because no matter how many articles you read, it will not seem enough when you finally deal with it. Nevertheless, here are the pros and cons of septum piercings that I experienced.
Pros Of Septum Piercing
- First of all, it is a popular trend, and many youngsters love it. So if you love following fashionable trends, septum piercing can be a new stylish addition for you.
- To some people, septum piercing means increasing one’s beauty and boosting confidence.
- Septum piercing becomes comfortable after they heal and you get used to them.
- If you are wearing a horseshoe ring, you can just flip it upward if you need to hide it.
- You can conceal them any time you want because they are not visible unless someone looks up your nose.
- If you no longer wish to have a piercing, you can take off the jewelry, and your piercing scar will not be visible.
- To style yourself, you can choose various septum rings that come in many designs.
- Septum piercing allows you to wear other piercing jewelry and get a customized look.
Cons Of Septum Piercing
- The first drawback of septum piercing can be the pain if not done correctly.
- If the area and the jewelry are not cleaned regularly. It will smell, and you will be the first to get uncomfortable with it.
- Got a cold and runny nose? Try blowing it with your septum jewelry on, and you will find how difficult it is to do so.
- Nose bogies can block your nostril by getting stuck on the jewelry without you realizing it.
- If not maintained properly, septum piercing can grow infection over time.
- People would stare and comment since septum piercing is not as common as the nose and ear piercing. You should ignore them and not let them bother you.
Should You Get Septum Piercing?
If you are still wondering if you should get a septum piercing, you can forget the cons for a moment and look at the pros. The reason behind getting a septum piercing varies from person to person.
Here are a few reasons and advantages on why you should get it too.
One of the main reasons people choose to get septum piercing is that they are fashionable. Celebrities like Madonna, Rihanna, Bella Throne, and many more proudly show off septum piercing as a choice.
No, you do not necessarily need to get a septum piercing to get confident. But it can be a way to express yourself more confidently. Septum jewelry piece comes in various shapes, sizes, and designs. You can choose one based on your choice and let that become a part of who you are.
Easy To Conceal
It is true that some educational institutions and even job areas may not allow or accept people with septum piercings. But do not let that bother you because you can always find a piece of jewelry that can do a little trick. For example, if you are wearing a horseshoe ring, just give it a flip upward, and people will hardly notice it.
Piercings do not cost you a fortune. You can get it done by any professional at an affordable cost. If you purchase designed jewelry from them, that can add extra costs.
Not liking your new piercing style? Well, the good thing is that it is not permanent like tattoos. You can take off the jewelry any time you want and give the pierced area some time to block itself.
And even if the hole does not get blocked, your piercing scar or hole will hardly be visible to others.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How much does septum piercing cost?
Body piercing costs vary depending on the location, the person performing it, and the type of jewelry you choose. On top of that, sometimes, you have to add tips for the job if it is done well. So the overall cost for septum piercing can be $50-$90 on average.
Q. Is it unprofessional to have a septum piercing?
While septum piercing cannot be described as unprofessional, it can be a challenge in school or job sectors to be “presentable” wearing septum jewelry. If you are ever in such a situation and wearing a horseshoe jewel, just flip it, and it will be concealed up to your nostril.
Q. Can I block my septum piercing permanently?
It is hard to say if the piercing hole will block entirely as it can be different for each person. However, most people who take off the jewelry during the earlier times than those who wear it regularly for years experience a quick and permanent blockage.
Q. Why does my septum piercing smell?
Septum piercing can smell for various reasons, such as poor-quality jewelry metal, infection, metal peel off, or the metal’s reaction on the skin. If the piercing smells, take out your jewelry and clean it. And if it is a skin issue or infection, you might have to change the jewelry and seek medical help.
It is never too let to get a septum piercing. However, checking the pros and cons before deciding on anything is essential. And if you are unsure if the septum ring will suit you, you can purchase prop jewelry and wear it to check the look. And after getting the piercing, make sure to follow the necessary instructions to care for and maintain it regularly.